LBA meets during the breakfast hour, 8-9 am, the first Friday of each month usually at the Lilburn IHOP. Donna Hill of E2E is bringing us business topics with new concepts and concepts worth a review.
Our Jan 7th meeting covered 10 Tips to Make the Most of a Networking event. Here is the list:
- Be Personable. As in don't hide behind your phone, don't lead with your elevator speech and seek to make a friend first and client second.
- Be passionate. Strangers are trying to connect with you, so make it easier by showing interest in them.
- Be Memorable. Think of one thing to say that will make them remember you such as a sincere, detailed compliment.
- Prepare. Have business cards handy, know your audience, customize your elevator speech and take notes after each conversation. You may even review the membership or attendance list beforehand if available.
- Don't Hang with People You Know. Pick the table or group with strangers or as a leader shuffle the groups periodically.
- Stand in a Line. Lines are a great place to chat as you have one person in front and one in back of you.
- Mind Your Appearance. Err on the side of being overdressed, don't slump, keep your hand open/visable,, and SMILE.
- Repeat Their Name. People love to hear their names so include it in the conversation and as you part.
- Learn to Enjoy Networking. If you are enjoying yourself, you will be more approachable. Think about who might be the most interesting person, most fun, smartest, most unusual you might meet tonight.
- Follow Up. That night or the next morning connect on LInkedin with a note referencing your conversation. Possibly set up a coffee or lunch date and even periodically follow up.